My Zimbio
Top Stories The Best Cell Phone Carriers: How do they make calls while I have no signal?

Monday, April 28, 2008

How do they make calls while I have no signal?


Have you ever been out some where and wondered how can this be? People beside you are talking away on their cell phones, and yet you have no service at all? There is a very easy explanation for this. Different carriers broadcast on different frequencies, such as radios operate on AM or FM signals, and unlike your radio where you can change what signal you wish to receive, your phone is designed to work with a specific signal to communicate with a specific carrier.
Why are there different signals when we all simply want to have a phone work anywhere possible? This again is easily explained. Competition is the main reason, every company want to be the best. The three biggest broadcasts used in the US are: CDMA, GSM, and IDEN. Each one has its strong and weak points just as anything else. CDMA is what the US had started with in the preliminary days of cellular. GSM is the signal most commonly used in Europe and Asia. IDEN is a slightly newer (in comparison) signal that has been made popular with a particular company boasting there 2-way walkie talkie service.
I would like to say right away that I am not affiliated with ANY cellular companies, however I have worked with most of them in the past, and that is where my information has come from. This blog is not to sell or sway your opinions in any way, shape, or form. I am making these postings simply so that you can make a more informed decision before you lock into that 2 year contract. I will NOT discuss rate plans or customer service, I will simply tell you how they work, and the advantages and disadvantages of the given carriers in different areas, and for specific needs. I do not believe that there is any one great carrier out there, as I have before stated each have there strong and weak points.

No comments: